Advantages of Fidelity



MORNING PRAISE
March 18, 2020
Wednesday of the Third Week in Lent
Memorial of St. Cyril of Jerusalem
Advantages of Fidelity | Deuteronomy 4:1, 5-9


PERSONAL REFLECTION
Feelings of being left out; feelings of stagnation; feelings of uncertainty. Those were the dominant feelings I had as of my last morning praise. I was at such a low point in my discernment journey (at least for the second semester), and it felt like I couldn’t possibly go any lower than that. As the days unfolded soon after, I was unfortunately proven wrong.

Memories of a traumatic experience from my teenage years came back to haunt me, after having been forgotten for two decades. With the emergence of Covid-19 cases, the stock market crashed, and I lost (and continue to lose) a painful sum of money from my pension fund investment. Then, the first few Covid-19 cases were announced in my city, which reminded me that our household consists of two senior citizens (my parents) and a minor (my niece) who had her fair share of sickness and hospitalization in the past. And then the lockdown happened, which meant that we have to stay here at home, potentially having more time in our hands that we can handle.

I cannot pretend that I am not affected by all these things that are happening. These past few days, I have noticed that I am increasingly becoming absent-minded – my autopilot mode seems to be uncharacteristically unreliable with everything that is going on. My mind wanders as I go about my tasks, constantly barraged by thoughts that sabotage my will and dampen my spirit.

“Where is God in all of this?” we are constantly invited to reflect.

These days, my encounters with God from my past experiences of pain and sufferings had been what’s keeping me afloat. Sure, these difficult times are not something I’ve gone through before, but I nevertheless find myself firmly rooted in my faith that God is in control; that He is with us, listening to us as we groan in pain; suffering with us; holding our hands as we make our way through the darkness and uncertainty. I find myself continually awed by how this faith is so much bigger than me; how firmly I cling to it no matter distracted or absent minded I become; how I constantly look forward to God’s consolation even if He’s been too quiet and unresponsive to my pleading for His felt presence during these difficult times.

Faithfulness. Fidelity. These words come to mind when I think about my image and personal encounter of God: a God who is faithful; a savior who is reliable; a Father who keeps His promises. But all of these traits will not mean anything if I stop at trying to enrich my relationship with Him, especially in the face of adversities. And so as it is in the selected reading today, I would like to believe that the invitation for me, especially during these sanity-challenging times, is to keep and observe God’s words the best way I can. And also, to be very careful not to forget his faithfulness and fidelity, and proclaim it through the way I live my life. For this, I beg for the Lord’s grace. 

Amen.


Thought for the Day        

“Boredom is the disconnected life, filled with thousands of different words, ideas, thoughts and acts which seem like so many pieces of garbage in stagnant waters. Boredom, which so easily leads to depression, often can become a pervasive feeling, a creeping temptation, difficult to shake off. It is in this perspective that a mature, religious sentiment fulfills a creative function. Because it has a unifying power, it brings together the many isolated realities of life and casts them into one meaningful whole.”          - Henri Nouwen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Entry

The Good Shepherd

Jesus' Departure