The Song of Ruth



MORNING PRAISE
February 28, 2020
Friday after Ash Wednesday
The Song of Ruth

PERSONAL REFLECTION         
“You okay?”

A few days ago, somebody asked me that question: “You okay?” The only response I can come up with was an awkward, bad joke: a futile attempt at humor to dispel the worry and concern that this good guy seemingly had. It was all I can come up with at that moment, because in my heart, I knew that I was not okay.

Before Arvisu, I have always shielded myself from valuing people too much. I kept my guard at all times and I’ve protected myself from feeling too much for people because I did not want to feel vulnerable. Who wants to be vulnerable, anyway? And so I rarely opened up, even to my closest friends – and this helped me live in a fantasy world where I am emotionally self-sufficient and therefore I did not have any need to make any deep emotional connection with anyone.

Arvisu changed that, but the tragedy is that just as I found myself finally connecting to people in deep, profound ways, separation reared its ugly head and took away two guys that I have learned to really value and treasure. And while I understand that my journey is not the same as theirs even if our paths crossed in Arvisu, seeing them go through their pain makes it difficult for me to make sense of what happened.

June and Romuel – how many times have I done them wrong?! Do I have a part in how their Arvisu journeys have ended? Do I have blame to share for what happened to them? What could I have done? What should I not have done? Why are they being taken away from me? Am I being punished? Now that they are gone, should I venture into deepening my relationship with those who are left here and risk being hurt again?

During my SD session with Fr. Bill, I was reassured that the pain I am feeling now is a pain that is beneficial, for after all it is a pain that comes from pouring my heart into something that was worthwhile. And so I am holding on to this as I maneuver my way through this difficult episode; as I try to view this experience through the lens of gratitude.

And so today brothers, I would like to beg for the grace to be grateful in the midst of pain; gratitude for our days here together; forgiveness and healing for the hurts that had been caused both ways; openness to fortify the ties that we already have; and undying faith and hope in God’s love, compassion, and companionship -- no matter how confusing and uncertain some days can seem to be.

In a special way, I would like to pray for June, Romuel, and yes, let’s throw in Paolo Antonio to the mix – may they always be comforted by the God of consolations as they continue their discernment journey outside Arvisu; and may they further desire to never leave His side, and walk in faith wherever He may lead them.

Amen.

Thought for the Day
“Our great tendency in this age is to increase our speed, to run faster, even in the Christian life. In the process our walk with God stays shallow, and our tank runs low on fumes. Intimacy offers a full tank of fuel that can only be found by pulling up closer to God, which requires taking necessary time and going to the effort to make that happen.” - Charles R. Swindoll

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Entry

The Good Shepherd

Jesus' Departure