The Day of the Son of Man



MORNING PRAISE | November 15, 2019 | Memorial of St. Albert, the Great
The Day of the Son of Man | Luke 17: 26-37


PERSONAL REFLECTION


While watching “Avengers: Infinity War” last year, I could not help myself but think: If this whole thing was real, what would have happened to me? Would I have survived the snapping of Thanos’ fingers? Or would I have been one of those unlucky ones to suffer through seeing my loved ones turn into dust before my very eyes? It’s a tragic and scary situation either way.

Today’s gospel comes with the same terrifying, ominous undertone as Avengers: Infinity Wars. Ang lakas maka-Thanos ni Lord today, especially that part of the gospel which talks about the two people in the same bed and the two women grinding meal together: one will be taken, while the other left.

I suppose that’s terrifying for me because over the course of my life, I have met people that I have learned to love, and the mere thought of seeing them taken away from me is painful. But perhaps what’s really more frightening is the idea that I will be the one taken away to the vultures. It’s frighteningly more likely, when I think about it.

These past few days, I have been getting the sense that my past vices are starting to catch up with me, just when I thought that my discernment journey was beginning a new and more advanced chapter. The internal struggle against the desire for money, sex, and power was so intense that the effort to hold everything in made me want to vomit. 

It scared me, because I know very well how impulsive I can sometimes get. I know how I can go to great lengths to get my way. I know that if and when opportunity would present itself, I just might fall, forget how far and how long I had to wait to get to where I am now, and throw all of that away.

But then there is grace from the Lord, and it came at that exact moment when I needed it the most.

Just as I felt that I was drifting away from Him, He embraces me in His arms – in an intimate, complete, and overwhelming way that could never be matched by any human touch nor material comfort. He pulls me close to Him, and assures me that He will not be letting go, especially as I am about to lose my grip on Him.

And so I would like to beg the Lord that I may always seek His arms of love and find comfort there, instead of the fleeting sensations and pleasures that the world has to offer. I would like to beg the Virgin Mary, our mother, to never tire of interceding for me, amidst my doubts and inclination to distrust. I pray that she teach me how I can lose my life in order to save it; in the same way that I pray that she teach me how I can better know her son, Jesus.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Entry

The Good Shepherd

Jesus' Departure