The Parable of the Talents



SELECTED READING
The Parable of the Talents| Matthew 25:14-30




PERSONAL REFLECTION​
When I found out I will be assigned to the Kalookan Mission Station for the apostolate, I was immediately anxious. Seeing how some priests are being shot in broad daylight during the mass because they are seen as meddling too much in affairs outside the realm of the church, I couldn’t help but fear for my safety and that of everyone involved in the ministry.

On our first Sunday, during our orientation at the mission house there, we were told that the prevailing sentiment of the community was that of fear — hence, out of fear, they are inclined to believe that addicts deserve to die. We were also told that there seems to be a brewing depression epidemic among the local youth. Being told how deep-seated these issues are, and how troubled the community is, I try to think of ways to be of help, but cannot think of any. I couldn’t help but fear that I am inadequate for the task at hand.

During the communion, I saw a woman crying tears while in deep prayer. I saw her doing so again on our second Sunday. I do not know for sure what she is going through, but I do know that she gives a face to the turmoil that the community is going through. There is a very palpable need for something there, in that woman’s tears. To me, that woman is a very clear manifestation that the community needs help, and it would be nearly immoral to turn a blind eye to it, now that I have seen it up close. And yet, I couldn’t help but fear that my fears might lead me to choose the easy way out: to do nothing; to be indifferent.

In today’s gospel reading, we hear of the servant who, out of fear, did not do anything to the talents that was given to him. In him I see our normal experience of how fear screws us up — fear stuns us, renders us immobile, leads us to freeze and makes us incapable of doing what we are supposed to do. Fear makes us lose sight of the arsenal of gifts and graces that we have at our disposal to battle the very thing that we fear. When we let fear take over, we become paralyzed and just wait for the inevitability of defeat.

In 2006, Fr. Weyms Sanchez, who was then a Jesuit scholastic, replied to my email where I confided to him some of my fears in relation to my discernment. He said: “I’ve said this to you before, do not let your fears get the better of you. Just face them, give them a face and a name, and they will begin to lose their power over you. When God calls, He will do whatever it takes. You just have to believe.”

Those words have consoled me then, and continue to console me until today. And so this morning, I have taken the opportunity to not just name my fears, but name them publicly so that they may soon lose their power over me. Yes, I fear for my safety, I fear that I am inadequate, I fear that my fears can lead me to indifference. But today, beyond naming them, I am offering these fears, among many others, and even your fears to the Lord — in faithful hope that He may purify them and in so doing, grant us all the courage to respond to his invitation to travel with Him in this vocation discernment journey.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Entry

The Good Shepherd

Jesus' Departure