Jesus and His Family

SELECTED READING 
Jesus and His Family | Luke 8:19-21



PERSONAL REFLECTION
I do not know how to deal with being in the receiving end of affection. That sounds so cold, and perhaps it is. I suppose, that’s bound to happen when you grow in an environment where emotions are a luxury; where you simply do not have the time nor resources to feel things because you need to keep on hustling to keep up with the things that life is throwing at you. Don’t be confused – I love my family, and I know fully well that my family loves me back.

It’s just that we’re not the type of people who dwell on emotions; much less, verbalize them. We just live in trust that we love each other and we have each other’s backs no matter what – and somehow, that had been enough to tide us over. But definitely no expressions of affection whether on the giving or receiving end – no “I Love You”s, no “I Miss You”s, no “I’m Sorry”s, and sometimes even, no “Happy Birthday”s.

The aftermath of that can be far reaching, and it had shaped the way that I relate with people: I used to cry whenever someone greeted me “Happy Birthday.” I cringe at each occasion of being affirmed, feeling overwhelmed by the attention. I panic when somebody tells me they miss me, because that compels me to tell them I miss them too, and saying so is too foreign even if I do miss them. I tend to reject efforts to reach out to me to get reconciled because they remind me of the fault inflicted on me and it hurts me even more. And then silly me, I look for affection and intimacy in all the wrong places, when perhaps a hug from a friend is all I need to feel better.

Brothers in today’s selected reading, Jesus says: “My mother and my brothers are those who hear the word of God and act on it.” Effectively, Jesus is telling us what we need to do if we want to become His brother. And who wouldn’t want that, right? Of course we all want to partake in Jesus’ brotherly love. We all want to be showered with the brotherly affection of this fantastic, divine being. But what strikes me more is that in revealing the key to becoming His brother, he not only reaches out to us, he also seems to want us to reach out to him; He seems to be inviting us to also love Him back.

And so I pray I could be like Him in that respect. I pray I could have the capacity to be like Jesus on how He opens up himself to be loved back; on how he can articulate how He wants to be loved. Because often I can be such a cold person – incapable of properly receiving affection from others; and doubtful of the motivations of those who are starting to crack through my façade. But in reality, I too am just your typical emotional guy who tears up when greeted “Happy Birthday”, and who needs a brotherly hug once in a while.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Final Entry

The Good Shepherd

Jesus' Departure